Sunday, August 8, 2010

Metrosideros Fiji Fire and Tibouchina Jazzie

Double click to see larger view.
I have a very unsightly back fence which was once hidden by a Ginger plant that was slowly overtaking the lawn with its fast growing rhizomes. It was removed and I planted cotton plants. The Pest attacked them so it was time for them to go and this time I have planted two well established Fiji Fire (Metrosideros) I had never heard of this plant before. The new growth are coloured pinkish very similar to lilly pillys. Has an orangey flower which I am eagerly waiting as photos don't show the flower. It is hardy, not too tall plant and with two planted side by side hopefully hide this fence.
The Tibouchina Jazzie is also new to me as I do have the Alstonville and Nola growing and are in flower most of the year. The Jazzie is a smaller bush and it has replaced a Camelia that I had on my front lawn.
My chooks are very interested in when I take shovel to dirt as there generally is a tasty worm or bug to find. Then after planting I have to place rocks and mesh to keep the chooks from digging/scratching up the plants.Posted by Picasa

No comments: