Sunday, November 15, 2009

Modification to my Chook House


Ok it doesnt look much, but for my 4 chooks it is their sleeping and laying quarters. After all this rain we had, the chook house needed a cleanup.
Also Henmerelda gets quite agitated when Margaret is in the nest and Henmeralda wants to lay her egg also. Her clucking is continuous and I hope not too annoying for the neigbours as Margaret is only going to exit her laying box when she is ready and not before, so this clucking seems to go on forever.
I decided to add another laying box on top of the usual one they lay in.
Just a Lawn mower catcher does the trick. Being of short supply of any timber and tools of great advantage when wanting to do any repairs I just have to use my initiative and see whats around the house, inside and out. I saw a garden chair that we don't use and to my surprise it fitted where I wanted it to go. I used the seat for the platform to hold the second floor laying bed. With a couple of stretch straps hold the chair secure.
Of course I had to have it situated away from their sleeping quarter as they also poop there and they don't lay where they poop. Would You???
They were very confused that night when they went to perch. I also notice that I had a branch that needed changing it was in their flight path, so I have now remedied the situation and tonight on checking it seemed a happy family.
Maybe I did do something right. I still have to find out if Henmerelda will use the top deck to lay her egg or is she going to cluck till Margaret is out.
Henmerelda did have a rest day today so it will be a testing time tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: