Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Backyard Friends


It was 1st September 2011 that I picked up 7 day old Rhode Island Red X with New Hemshire chickens. they are now about 24 weeks so in the next couple of weeks they should be laying. They are a delight to have in my backyard.
This is Ginger, she stands out from the rest as she has a distinct white band of white feathers just down from her base of the neck at the back.
This is Fooee a rather strange looking rooster unlike my silkies does not have the fluffy silkie feathers on top of her head but has a cone which has grown on a slant very similair to her brother Louee, who started crowing very early is now wandering with other roosters on a farm as I could not keep him as I live in a built up area.
I hatched out Louee & Fooee 21st August and Fooee has just started crowing which to me is unusual to suddenly turn out to be a rooster with his unusual crow not fully developed. I will keep him till her becomes a nuisance.
I watch my girls from my kitchen window when washing the dishes and laugh at their actions of either finding a worm, resting and having a sunbake, and they even have stare out competitons between 2 chooks. I have them free range during the day and a rainproof Henhouse for them to sleep at night. The garden has plenty of shady spots and I have many bowls of water for them during these hot days. They have found a good dust bath spot behind the house inbetween some pot plants.Posted by Picasa

No comments: